Travelling Away from the United States as a Permanent Resident

Travelling Away from the United States as a Permanent Resident

By Edward Shulman (489 words)
Posted in Immigration Law on February 24, 2015

There are (1) comments.

Immigrants to America who have achieved permanent residence status can travel abroad but those leaving for lengthier periods, particularly over one year, may face difficulties reentering the United States at the end of their travels. Those permanent residents going overseas will need to present a passport from their country of citizenship or their refugee travel document. The foreign country to which the resident is travelling may have additional visa requirements.

When returning to the country, they will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at the port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review their permanent resident card and any other identity documents they present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License in order to determine if they can reenter. 

Those taking short trips have little or no reason to worry about reentry to the country provided they have the documents needed. But for those travelling for longer periods of time, particularly over one year, it may be necessary to show certain proof that they continue to intend the United States to be their permanent home. Some of the proof needed includes:


·       whether their intention was to visit abroad only temporarily

·       whether they maintained U.S. family and community ties

·       whether they maintained U.S employment

·       filed U.S. income taxes as a resident

·       otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as their permanent home by maintaining bank accounts, keeping a valid driver’s license, continuing to operate or manage a business in the U.S. and/or owning property in the country.

If they travel for more than a year, it is likely there will be a presumption that they were abandoning their permanent status although such is not conclusive and this presumption may, in fact, even be raised with regard to trips that do not last for a year.   

For those who plan on being absent from the United States for longer than a year, it is advisable to first apply for a reentry permit on Form I-131. By getting this reentry permit prior to leaving the United States, it will be unnecessary during the time period of the permit’s validity to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

The Shulman Law Group, LLC has successfully prepared and filed many petitions on behalf of its clients who are family members, including spouses, of U.S. citizens to work and study in the United States and take a trip abroad.  Members of the firm advise New Jersey residents with regard to developments in its law which have direct relevance to the state’s immigrant population.  Its comprehensive experience in the field enables the firm’s attorneys and professional staff to understand what information and materials needs to be produced in order to ensure petitions receive appropriate consideration.  The firm’s excellence is fortified by its rigorous determination to ensure that all procedural matters are properly addressed.

Comments (1)

Akkam posted on: May 21, 2015

Registered Immigration Consultancy, Canada Immigration Consultants In Hyderabad, Authorized Immigration Consultants,Immigration Consultants In Hyderabad, Canada Immigration, Australia Immigration, Permanent Resident Visa, Student Visa Consultants offered by Akkam. For more information visit

Leave a comment

* denotes required field
* Email will not be published
* Used to help prevent spam

Text only, html will be removed from comment

To make the long story short - I wouldn't be here now writing this review if it wasn't for him. He fought with me and for me as if he was defending himself and not some stranger from a foreign country. I will highly recommend him - if your case has any chance at all he is the one you need.

-Immigration Client

Breaking News


According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), there is now an official shift in the methodological approach to scheduling Asylum interviews.  Indeed, effective immediately, the Asylum Division will give priority to the most...

read more


Last week, New Jersey welcomed its first DACA recipient to the New Jersey Law Bar.  Parthiv Patel, a 27-year-old immigrant from India who came to New Jersey when he was five years old, became the first “DREAMer” to join the cadre of...

read more


Phil Murphy, New Jersey's new Democratic Governor, announced that New Jersey intends to join a multi-state lawsuit challenging President Trump’s decision to terminate the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program for DREAMers. ...

read more
© 2015 The Shulman Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by Hudson